Saturday, June 03, 2006

My Virgin Post

Rationale Behind the Title
I've grown up with the internet. No, I'm not a Gen Y but I've lived with computers all my life. My dad was a computer programmer during the 70's and 80's. When I say he was a programmer, I'm talking "old school" and not just C++ "old school", but punch card and main frame "old school. As a result, I grew up knowing a thing or two about computers.

I remember writing rudimentary programs in Basic as early as 10 years old. I also remember playing Dungeons and Dragons on a dumb terminal, thermal paper streaming out the top of it, analog phone jammed into the back, providing a lightning fast 1.4 baud per second connection speed. But it didn't matter that the experience stunk -- it was fun!

Why am I telling you this? Because I've waited 37 years to write my first blog. I guess I can't beat myself up too much because there are still billions of people that don't have blogs. That's one of the reasons why I felt like it was time to get started.

So a quick note about the title of my blog. Anyone that considers themselves to be part of "Red Sox Nation" knows who David "Big Papi" Ortiz is. Actually, anyone that pays any attention to baseball knows who Ortiz is. He's been an all-world clutch hitter the last three years. Well, I have a 4 1/2 year old son that is just starting to catch on as a Sox fan. The other day, we were watching the Sox play the Yankees and Jon Papelbon, the Sox new uber-closer, comes in and shuts the door. My son points to Pabelbon and says, "Daddy, who is that." I said, "that's Jon Papelbon." He replies, "oh, Big Papelbon." I got a good chuckle out of that.

With a title like that, you're assuming this blog is going to be about the Red Sox, right? Well, it might be. I definitely plan to opine a bit about some of the finer points of the game. But please know that I get distracted easily and may drift in and out of other topics. On that note, you've just finished reading my "virgin" post.

No comments: