Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Another Come from Ahead Loss

As promised in my blog's positioning statement, I do plan to occasionally talk about things other than baseball. Today's post will one of those occasions.

I started a new job yesterday. Big whoop, right? For me, it was a big deal because it was the first time in nearly ten years that I went somewhere other than 100 Summer Street, Boston to go to work. I've had a several weeks to get used to this concept so it wasn't as much of a shock to the system as it could have been, but it's going to take some getting used to.

For the last nine plus years, I've worked at Fidelity Investments. I spent the first half of my tenure in their internal ad agency and the second half working for retail marketing. All in all it was a great experience. Smart people, challenging projects, adequate resources to get your job done. All of those things made it easy to go to work for most of the time I was at Fidelity.

Yesterday that all changed. I took on a new role as the head of marketing for an up and coming company called SharedInsights. Based on my first day, I can already tell that it's going to be a blast. For one, not having to focus exclusively on financial services and all of its regulatory red tape, is a breath of fresh air. Second, there is something exhilarating about going from a 40,000 person company to a 40 person company.

You want to know one of the best things about my new job? There is a Starbucks down the street -- an unofficial requirement of going to SharedInsights. Good salary -- check. Benefits -- check. Starbucks within a 2 minute drive -- check. Call me crazy but I love good coffee. What's even better is that a) this new Starbucks has good talent and, b) they make really good coffee. Believe it or not, as much as Starbucks is a chain, their coffee varies dramatically from store to store. I won't bore you with any more detail than I already have but trust me when I tell you that making coffee is much more an art then a science. The Woburn Starbucks (at least for my first two visits) seem to get the "science" of making a great Americano.

One more brief digression as I wrap up this post. I liked what I saw from Kyle Snyder last night (last night's starting pitcher against the Phillies). I know it was only one start and the Sox did pick this guy up from the scrap heap known as the Kansas City Royals, but the guy seems to have good stuff. It wouldn't hurt if this guy turned out to be the 2005 Yank's version of Aaron Small or Shawn Chacon.

Speaking of the Yankees, my friend Jon and I were IM-ing last night as the Sox were wrapping up their fourth straight victory and he mentioned that the Bronx Bombers had another "come from ahead loss" last night. Maybe I was overtired but it made me laugh. I told him that I would mention it in my next post.

One parting thought... I think Manny is on the verge of doing some major damage over the few weeks. If he and Ortiz can get hot simultaneously, I can easily see the Sox ripping off 15 or so wins before the All Star break. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the Sox up 5-6 games on the Yankees and Blue Jays going into the break.

No comments: