Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Mixed Bag

Three things I want to cover in this post:
1) Jon Lester aka "JLes"
2) U.S. vs. Ghana/Italy vs. Czech Republic World Cup predictions
3) Catherine Wheel


JLes
Anyone need any more convincing that Jon Lester is the real deal after his 1 ER/10 strike out performance tonight? I didn't think so. This guy is a keeper.

World Cup
$10 says the U.S. beats Ghana 2-1 tomorrow and that Italy beats the Czech Republic by the same score. The net result = the U.S. advancing to play Brazil in the 2nd round. As much as I'm excited about the prospect of the U.S. making the round of 16, facing the Soccer Boys in the second round is not exactly something to cheer about. Trying to look at the bright side, Brazil has looked sloppy in the first few matches. Yes, they won all three of those matches but... I know, I'm grasping at straws. Next.

Catherine Wheel
I've been driving to work this week for the first time in 10 years. As a result, I've been able to listen to some of the CDs I don't normally get to listen to. One of those CDs is Catherine Wheel's "Happy Days." This has got to be one of the best yet least listened to albums of all time. Every time I dig it out and listen to it I can't help saying, "wow, I forgot what a great album this is," starting with God Inside My Head all the way to Fizzy Love. Not that the last song "Kill My Soul" isn't good, it just had the unfortunate fate of being 14 on a 13 track album.

The thing that gets me is that "Happy Days" is eleven years old. I remember listening to it at the same time that Alice and Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden were hitting their peak. Even then, I thought they stacked up pretty well. Case in point, I'll bet my left testicle that you've probably heard of the aforementioned three bands. Chances are that unless your my boy Joey Ng, you probably can't name one other song or album by CW. See, I told you.

So, how do these three things tie together? Good question. I guess the common denominator is that they're all good (outcomes and albums). How do you like them apples?

On that note, keep your eyes open for some guest posts the next few days...

No comments: