- * People are going to be split 50/50 on last night's trade by the Celtics. In case you fell into a temporary sports coma, the Celtics gave up Jeff Green (no. 5 pick) plus Mssrs. Szczerbiak and West for Ray Allen and Glen "Big Baby" Davis (no. 35 pick). I know the C's still need defense in a big way but I think this move gives the Celts a great shot at the no. 4 seed in the East behind Cleveland, Detroit and Miami. The Celtics also got Gabe Pruitt -- a guard out of USC -- who was considered by many to be a first round pick.
- * Following up my first thought, I sent an e-mail last night to my friend, Rich Gotham, the new President of the Celtics:
Assuming the trade goes through, this is a great move for the C's for three reasons:
- You get a guy that was one of the top five scorers in the league
- Al Jefferson is still a Celtic (and 2007 All Star to be)
- You didn't pick Yi Jianlian (I know Danny liked him but he was too long term a project)
I smell a great 2007-08 season brewing!!!
- * The Yankees totally got "Lugo-ed" last night. They are up 8-6 in the 8th inning after scoring 4 runs and then what happens? It starts to pour. The game gets postponed with play to resume at a later date. Just when they thought they were going to break their four game losing streak. Like many other members of Red Sox Nation, I was crushed...
- * Fellow classmate of Melrose High School '86, Jeff Gorton, got let go as the assistant GM of the Bruins yesterday. It's hard to believe but this guy had been with the Bruins for 15 years. Yes, the same Bruins team that have seemingly had a new coach and GM every one of those fifteen years. Good luck Jeff -- I'm sure you'll land a nice job with a better franchise elsewhere.
- * The Sox need to make three moves before the trade deadline:
1) get rid of Mirabelli for a real backup catcher
2) find a replacement for Timlin in the bullpen (they may have one already in Delcarmen)
3) pick up another "Cora" i.e. a serviceable veteran utility infielder that can backup Cora at short and Pedroia at second. Since there is no moving Lugo, he becomes a VERY expensive pinch runner/late inning defensive substitution for the Sox
- * Hope that one win was worth the $5M the Yanks have paid Rocket so far. Maybe the Bronx Bombers will be willing to trade Rocket for Matt Clement mid-season straight up.
Let's pray for another hot streak starting tonight so that we can officially put the AL East to bed by the All Star break!