Monday, June 25, 2007

Red Sox should jump on Buehrle

It certainly seems like there are some serious negotiations going on between the two Sox as Allard Baird was in Chicago scouting Buehrle over the weekend. The Red Sox should get this deal done provided it #1-doesn't cost them either Buchholtz and Ellsbury and #2-they can sign him to an extension. Buehrle is only 28 years old, has averaged over 15 wins in his first 6 full seasons in the bigs and in those 6 has never pitched less than 200 innings. From what I'm hearing it sounds like the Sox could probably complete the deal by offering SS prospect Jed Lowrie, P Michael Bowden and P Kason Gabbard.

This would give the Red Sox their top of the line rotation for years to come in Beckett (27), Dice-K (26) and Buehrle (28). They would still have Lester and Buchholtz to compete for the back-end of the rotation. Not only would I see this being great for Boston in the long-term but I think the Sox need Buehrle's arm for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs this year. If I'm Theo I look to get this deal done ASAP.

4 comments:

JS said...

I like this deal only if I can get it done with the prospects you list (Lowrie, Boden, Gabbard), if any names such as Bucholz, Lester, or Elsbury are in the mix I think it's a pass.

Junior Gong said...

I would be fine if the White Sox wanted Lester over Gabbard as I don't rate one over the other. I also feel that Gabbard is basically auditioning for the White Sox starting this week in Seattle. If he strings together a couple of solid starts this deal could get down in less than two weeks.

Buchholz and Ellsbury are my only untouchables.

Aaron_Strout said...

Word.

Noah said...

This deal was planted by the ChiSox...

It's dead. Looks like Buerhle stays in Chicago.