Friday, January 29, 2010

Enjoy Life Kurt Warner. Enjoy the Hall of Fame.


As you all know I have a huge amount of respect for Kurt Warner and hearing him retire today I thought back on the story I told just a few weeks ago. I hope that Kurt enjoys every minute of his retirement. The man won a Super Bowl, lost two Super Bowls and pulled in two MVPs. Hall of Fame? I say yes! And so do some other HOFers:

Troy Aikman: “I believe a player is a Hall of Fame player if you can’t tell the story of the history of the game without mentioning that player. In my opinion, no account of the NFL can be accurately given without discussing Kurt Warner’s impact on the game.”

Len Dawson: “I think he deserves it. I don’t know if I’ve seen a more accurate passer, and he generally didn’t make too many mistakes. The tag on him was he never got the opportunity. He was playing Arena Football and stuff like that. But once he got the opportunity, he took full advantage of it.”

Fran Tarkenton: “I think he’s deserving. To be a great quarterback, you have to understand the game, make adjustments by the second, by the minute, by the game. You have to take over the running of the game. And Kurt Warner has been able to do that.”


2 comments:

Tim Walker said...

I'm with you, Kyle. I think that during much of his career, my view on Warner was like that of a lot of other fans: "Good quarterback" or "Heck of a quarterback" but not "ZOMG he's the best!!11!one!!"

But now that we can look back on the body of work -- and especially considering the steady numbers he put up with two franchises -- I think there's a consensus that he's a Hall of Famer.

The caveat, as we talked about last night on Twitter: he's not an inner-circle / top-10 QB like Favre, Marino, Elway, Unitas, et al. No offense to Warner -- he just didn't quite reach that level across his career.

Aaron Ouellette - thebottlefarm.com said...

After seeing that hit, I could only think one thing, Concussion. I think he's had concussion issues in the past, so, to hear after that vicious hit he wants to call it a day is no suprize. Did anyone else think that hit had concussion written all over it?