Sunday, May 06, 2007

Money it's a gas...Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash

Money get back
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off my stack.
Money it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet
Today's announcement that Roger Clemens is coming out of retirement (the 4th time for those that are counting) and joining the New York Yankees came as no surprise to this observer. In fact I predicted as much in my earlier blog about Mo Rivera and his struggles. At almost every step of his career Roger has always been about the money and the Yankees were always going to be the highest bidder. I'm just thankful this happened as quick as it did so we wouldn't have to read crap article after crap article about this being such a tough decision for Roger and how torn he is over 3 teams. Roger is all about the money and if you can kiss his ass while handing over a king's ransom than all the better. Kudos the Yankee's organization for doing a great job on both counts.

This is a solid move for New York but one that they absolutely had to make given the state of their pitching. While it makes the Yankees better I remain quite happy he didn't come back to Boston. It would kill me to have to root for a Sox starting rotation that included two guys that make me cringe almost every time they address the media. Roger is a complete phony and despite his better living through chemistry I have doubts on just how effective he is going to be in the American League at age 45.
I prefer my lasting memories of Roger in a Red Sox uniform to be:
  • Asking out of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series (go ask McNamara about this one)
  • Wearing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shoe laces and eye paint before purposely getting himself tossed out of the final game of Oakland's sweep of Boston in 1990
  • Being fat and out of shape his final four years here where he compiled a 40-39 record and cavorted around town with someone definitely not named Debbie

4 comments:

Rooster said...

Word. I'll add one more memory: Roger not taking his headphones off when his manager Butch Hobson tried to talk to him in spring training

Aaron_Strout said...

Gong -- what's sad is that Roger kept saying he wanted to go to the team that had the best shot at the World Series. Obviously he meant the team that could afford the best box at the World Series 'cause the Yanks are going to have a tough time making it to the playoffs this year (in spite of winning three in their last four games).

LC said...

Thanks for the link to 38cliches.com

lc

Rooster said...

I liked Youkilis' subtle dig at the Yankees when asked about the signing, “He’s not pitching for Toronto, is he? No worries.”