Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Monday Musings: December 18 (Tuesday Edition)

A few thoughts as we head into the holiday season:
  1. Roger Clemens on steroids? Who knew.
  2. You have to feel a little bit bad for the Boston Bruins. They have the third best record in the NHL (second place in their division) yet you would think they were the Weston High School girls field hockey team in terms of the love they get. To that end, I was driving up to Maine last weekend and passed a ticket broker who had their "top events" listed on their sign out front. One of the items listed was "Bruins Tickets." I scratched my head on that one - do people in Maine know that you can by scalped Bruins tickets for about 50% of face value right now?
  3. Patriots/Jets - was anyone else disappointed that Belichick didn't spit in Mangini's face after last Sunday's game? I didn't really expect any fireworks but there was a little part of me that was hoping for something more dramatic. Maybe even a friendly knee in the groin. Oh well.

    To that end, I was listening to WEEI last night and Big O. and the boys had Coach Belichick on. After about two minutes of discussion, I came to the conclusion that aliens had replaced Coach B. with a kinder, gentler, more humorous being. During the conversation, Belichick stopped Freddy, Steve, Pete and Big O. and asked them who they thought the Jets should go with at QB. He then sat back and listened to the boys trip all over themselves as they tried to impress Coach with their answers. What was shocking was the fact that B elichick seemed to be enjoying himself. It was nice to see a human side to Belichick.
  4. To my fantasy boys -- you know who you are -- what are the odds that three of the top four seeds all fall in the first round? My Melrose Mildew (7 seed) is riding Adrian Peterson all the way to the finals baby!
  5. Is the Santana deal going to get done or not? For all the pomp and circumstance about that deal, I can't believe that something isn't going to get done. Last Thursday on WEEI, Kirk Schilling practically guaranteed that the Sox would get Santana. As much as I'm conflicted about losing Ellsbury, having Santana alongside Beckett, Dice K, Bucholtz/Lester and Schilling is nothing short of awesome.
  6. Poor ARod and Scott Boras aren't speaking. A lovers quarrel perhaps?
  7. This is apropos of nothing but is Junior Seau gay? I don't care if he is or isn't but every time they show him in the locker room after a game, one has to wonder.
  8. Anyone else excited about the Celts 20-2 start?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

10 comments:

Rooster said...

Great post, ADawg.

I really think the Sox have done a great job on the Santana front. They have upped the ante so high that the Yankees now have to give up two of the top young pitchers to get him. And with no Clemens to bail them out this year, don't they HAVE to pull the trigger now? I like Santana, but facts are facts: he gave up more than 30 dingers last year.

I'm counting the minutes till Indy knocks off the Pats.

Unknown said...

Seau is so very, very gay. NTTAWWT... I just had that exact conversation with someone the other day.

Nolan Ryan continued pitching until he was 45+ the old school way - steak, eggs, beer and 'rubbing some dirt on it'. Suck it, Clemens. HGH?!? Nubian, please!

Boras is a douchenozzle, A-Rod is a douchenozzle. Bedfellows indeed. They're probably the only friends that each of them have, so they should probably start talking again soon. Their X-Mas (or Hanukkah)parties are going to be pretty sad when they're sitting all alone. Shoot, A-Rod's sleepover mate, Jeter, doesn't even call any more.

I'm with you on the fantasy front. My marginal (at best) fantasy team upsets the 13-1 'nurples to advance to the next round. All because Brady had a marginal game! Go figure.

I know 'The Rooster' wants to see The Pats go down to that retard (sorry, mentally challenged) Manning, but I don't see it happening. I actually see a triple crown for Boston. Do you think that there would be a rip in the space time continuum if that happens? I did a little research on 'the tubes' and I saw that only one city accomplished three championships in one season (I'll let you decide if this even counts...)

"Only one city has won three championships in a year. This feat was accomplished by Los Angeles in 2002 when the Los Angeles Lakers (NBA), Los Angeles Sparks (WNBA) and the Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS) each won their respective championship."

Hell, If Seau came to the Championship parade dressed in a frilly french maid outfit, my life would be complete. Wait, what?...

Aaron_Strout said...

Rooster - good to see you back on Big P! We've missed you.

Totally agree with the Santana strategy. I'm fine with us not getting him but really would love for him to not go to the Yanks. To that end, I was psyched to see Haren go to the D-backs.

Regarding the Colts/Pats, bring it on baby, bring it on!

Rooster said...

I don't get to see the Pats post-game here in Miami (btw, nuthin worse than the NFL blackout rules in a city whose team sucks. brings back memories of the 70s and 80s in Mass.) anyway, what's this dilly with Seau that you speaketh?

Aaron_Strout said...

Matt - have you ever seen Seau's post-game hats? Or haircuts? Check 'em out next time and you'll see what we mean.

Regarding the Fins... ugh.

Unknown said...

I think it's that creepy mustache, the silly hats, and that weird 'high and tight' haircut.

That sounds really silly, I know... but something about him just smacks 'Fabulous'!

RedFish said...

If the Pats lost their starting QB, 2 starting RBs, the back-up RB, starting MLB, starting weak-side LB, both starting safeties, both back-up safeties, and traded away their #1 receiver, they would suck as bad as the Fins.
Imagine- No Brady, Moss, Harrison, Maroney, Faulk, Evens, Sanders, Seau, and Bruschi. And their back-ups as well. Marinate on that one for a minute.
We have a career 3d stringer at QB, practice-squad players in the secondary, and the rest of the team is full of rookies- including the head coach.
The Bills would win the east if the Pats were in this position.
Be glad the Pats are healthy.

And forget the Colts- its the Jags that are the sleeping giant in the AFC.

As for Junior, who remembers this from a few years ago:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5132497/

And I guess nearly 20 years of suck will keep Celtics fans weary until April. Are they selling out the Fleet Garden on a nightly basis yet? If not, they should be.

Aaron_Strout said...

LeeB (aka Red Fish) I'm laughing out loud at your Fins comment. Sorry dude - I feel for you. And I mean that as a fan of the Patriots in the 70's and early 80's.

Regarding the Seau comment, I do remember that being an issue now that you mention it. But if anything, it just confirms in my mind that much more that he is... NTTIAWWT.

Royal Rooters said...

Who knew? lol I've been speculating ever since he went to Houston.

By the way, I'm just starting a new blog.

http://modernrooters.blogspot.com/

Check it out if you've got some time and let me know if you'd want to exchange links.

Anonymous said...

OK, sorry but WNBA and MLS don't count towards a triple crown. Even if the Revs pulled off the feat this year, we certainly wouldn't have counted it.

Anyone else feel the Pats let off the gas against the Fins this week? It was either a draw play or a long bomb in the second half. I'm guessing they were trying two things-One: resting the guys that go over the middle (Welker) and not showing anymore plays to their future opponents. Two: Keeping the players interested in next weeks Giants game by having a few records still up for grabs.

Celts keep on rolling-tough loss against the Pistons, but man is it great to see the house rock again. I think they are for real after that close one and the spankin' they put on Orlando.

re: Junior Seau-glass houses,baby!

Too bad we won't get to see the Colts in Foxborough this year.

Merry Christmas to all!

QJ